Friday, February 21, 2014

Cilantro and Lime Chicken Gyro Recipe

A couple months ago the hubby and I had a lunch date at a delicious mom and pop restaurant called Mama's Gyro in Sherwood. I love supporting small business America and even more I love buying quality food! This was a little Greek family owned place that sold gyros. 
I am not sure how I went my whole life without having a gyro before now!?!? 
They were SO good!

Since our gyro experience, I have been dreaming and thinking about their deliciousness.
Really they were that good!

We are on a budget and that means eating out is pretty rare. So I started experimenting with making our own gyros.....
We tried a BBQ version and it was okay, but it didn't quite match up to the ones in my dreams.

However, if at first you don't succeed, try try again! Seriously I could probably eat a gyro every day and not tire of them! There are truly that many different ways you could make them. So this week I combined a few family favorites and came up with these awesome, from your dreams, delicious Cilantro Chicken Gyros!!



 I made the cilantro chicken from this taco recipe at eevanad.blogspot.com. This taco recipe calls for a package of taco seasoning. Instead of using packaged seasoning we use this homemade taco seasoning recipe from 5dollardinners.com.

I first put my 3 chicken breast in the crock pot and added the lime juice, chopped cilantro, dried onion, water and taco seasoning.


 Set the crock pot for 5 hours on high and enjoy the sweet smells tempting you all day! ha

When the chicken is done use two forks to shred it.


 Scoop the shredded chicken into warm pita flat bread.
You can use whatever toppings and dressing or salsa of your choice. We used chopped tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and avocado with salsa or thousand island dressing. For the dairy eaters in my family they added cheese and ranch dressing.

Here is the dairy free option. 


Looks delicious right?

What is your favorite gyro recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...